This salad was really good. Cale and I both really enjoyed the flavors and the crunchiness! The marinade for the chicken was a little more effort, but it makes a lot and stores in the fridge for a couple weeks. I adapted this recipe slightly from the Z'tejas recipe.
- 2 ounces Achiote, powder (approx. 1/4 cup)
- ½ c. Orange juice
- ½ c. White vinegar
- 1 t. Black pepper, ground
- 1 t. All spice, ground
- approximately 1 head garlic
- 1 T. Paprika
- 1 T. Kosher Salt
- ½ T. Oregano, ground
- 4-6 Chicken breast with skin
- Chopped Salad:
- 1 small head Lettuce; shredded 1/8"
- 1/2 small head Red Cabbage; shredded
- 1 Avocado sliced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 3 ears Sweet corn, steamed and cut from cob
- 1/4 Queso Fresco, or Cotija cheese if you can find it
- 1 can Black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup Pumpkin seeds, toasted in 350º oven for 8-10 minutes
- Dressing recipe:
- 1 cup Favorite ranch dressing
- ¼ cup Balsamic vinegar
Combine all ingredients for marinade, except chicken, in a blender and blend until smooth and combined. Pour over chicken and let marinate for 3 -24 hours.
Grill chicken and let rest before slicing and placing on top of chopped salad.
Combine salad ingredients in a bowl and toss or separate onto individual plates as I did above.
Mix the dressing and serve on the side.