Apr 13, 2011

Mango Berry Salad


        Spring is finally here in New England.  After record amounts of snow and snow-days, rain and warmer weather has arrived. I was driving to the supermarket today and I noticed the magnolias were starting to bloom. Magnolias are lovely and always one of the first things you see once the weather starts to change for the better get warmer. I also love spring because fresh produce prices drop.
        I recently bought a case of mangoes for $6. You read correctly, a CASE for $6. In this northeast suburb, that is an awesome price. Since I have 13 mangoes to use before I lose them; I am on a mission to find and create recipes (besides peeling and eating) that showcase the beautiful, juicy, sweet/tart sunset-hued fruit. Mangoes are one of my all time favorite foods. Bean loves them. The mango was the second solid food he ever tried. I believe avocado was his first. He has been a believer every since. 
      I got on Zupas website and created a copycat recipe for their Mangoberry salad. The hardest part was nailing the dressing, but I think I did it. I made the salad two ways, one with bite-size pieces of mango and the other with BIG pieces of mango. The salad with smaller pieces tasted better. Maybe because it was easier to eat and I was able to experience more flavors in each bite. I believe that salads should reflect their maker, so feel free to adjust and change the amount of each ingredient to reflect your own preferences.


Mango Berry Salad
created by Sugar.Betty


1/2 cup fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
1/2  cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup fresh, ripe-firm mango, peeled, pitted and diced
2 tablespoons cinnamon almonds, chopped
6-8 cups mixed greens


Toss greens with mango yogurt dressing. Plate dressed greens and divide fruit and nuts among plates. Drizzle lightly with more dressing, if desired.


Mango Yogurt Dressing
1 large ripe mango, pitted and roughly chopped
1 heaping tablespoon plain yogurt
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar (regular distilled vinegar is too harsh)
1 tablespoon honey, optional (depending on sweetness of the mango)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper


Place all ingredients except honey in a blender and blend until smooth. Taste. Add honey and blend again if dressing is too tart.


source: The Sugar.Betty: Heather

1 comment:

Jenna said...

I'm excited to try it tonight!!!