Sep 9, 2011

Blondies

Year after year, I'm amazed how quickly time flies during the warm months of summer. I'm also amazed with how busy my summer has been. Bean and I were going to the pool and park almost every day. Between all the playing and the incredibly warm weather...I haven't been cooking. It has been nice actually. I love how life is unhurried during the warm days of summer. 
I am making a commitment right now, to stop neglecting this food blog. Most likely, I won't post as often as I did in the winter and spring, but I'll try not to let an entire month go by without a post.

To welcome September in I decided to post about blondies. This is my favorite recipe for blondies, because they taste wonderful and its a cinch to prepare. I hope you like them as much as our household does. 



Blondies
Cook's Illustrated


Note: Don't over bake the blondies or they will be dry and hard.


1 cup (4 ounces) pecans, toasted, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon table salt
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips


Preheat oven to 350ยบ F. Make sure to adjust rack to middle position. Grease a 9 x 13-inch pan.


Whisk flour baking powder and salt together in medium bowl; set aside.


Whisk melted butter and brown sugar together in medium bowl until combined. Mix eggs and vanilla in butter and brown sugar mixture. Next, fold dry ingredients into egg and sugar mixture until just combined; do not over mix. Fold in chocolate and nuts and turn batter into prepared pan,  smoothing top.


Bake until the top is shiny and cracked. It will be a light golden brown about 22-25 minutes; do not over bake. Cook on a wire rack to room temperature. Cut into 2 inch squares and serve.



3 comments:

Reags said...

Excited to make these, and make them soon. But I wish more than anything I could be making them out in Boston with you and that I just had to walk over to your place from our neighboring apartments. O the dream. Love your o so stinkin' guts.

Heather said...

Me too Reags. Cale and I were just saying that same thing yesterday afternoon. We are hoping and praying Sam gets into Harvard!!!

Jenn said...

You saved the day, Heather! I don't know what happened, but my Blondie recipe has not been working lately -- so I switched to yours! Delicious. I just had 2 topped with ice cream! If only Ben were here to shame me into NOT eating just one more . . .