Jun 10, 2011

Plain Frozen Yogurt

         Whether you are a Pinkberry die hard or a Red Mango purist, this plain yogurt copycat recipe will have your taste buds and wallet shouting  for joy all summer long. I adapted this recipe from David Lebovitz's book, The Perfect Scoop, via 101 Cookbooks.
         I originally found a recipe for frozen plain yogurt from the food blog 101 cookbooks and I immediately broke out my ice cream maker. I'm glad I did because this recipe is simple, refreshing and delicious. I found the end product to be creamy and tangy with many possibilities. Using Greek yogurt makes the end result much creamier, using whole milk Greek yogurt also helps add a smooth and creamy mouthfeel. 
        This is a wonderful recipe to make with kids, because it calls for 2 ingredients and no actual cooking is involved. I can't wait to make this with Bean, now that I know how easy it is. I'm sure he will also love watching and tasting the mixture as it turns into ice cream.
      This would make a great dessert party. Create a  frozen yogurt bar with different kinds of toppings. Each person taking a scoop of plain frozen yogurt and having lots of fun toppings to customize individual portions. 
      For a soft consistency, serve right out of the ice cream maker. For a firmer texture, transfer the frozen yogurt to a covered container and freeze for 2-3 hours. Serve with assorted toppings. I stored this yogurt in a covered container with good results for 24 hours. Beware: this yogurt does not have any stabilizers, which makes this  'natural' yogurt melt quickly.
       This recipe will be a cool relief for the warm weather all summer long. I loved the slight sweetness and the very prominent tang of  the yogurt. I may experiment with honey flavor or a reduced fat version as well.




Frozen Plain Yogurt
adapted from 101 Cookbooks and The Perfect Scoop
Because there are only 2 ingredients in this recipe it is important to use good quality whole-milk yogurt. Adjust the amount of  sugar according to how sweet you like your yogurt.


720 grams Greek-style yogurt (approximately 3 cups)
100-135 grams sugar  (1/2 cup-2/3 cup)


Mix together the yogurt and sugar. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.


Freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. Serve right from the ice cream maker for a softer consistency or freeze in a covered container for at least 2 hours.

1 comment:

Reags said...

I have been dying to make plain frozen yogurt. I am so excited! Thanks hezo, I think I will make it today.