Mar 21, 2011

Altuna Melt


        I love recipes that are fast, easy and taste good. I also love recipes that take hours to prepare and make a mess of every dish in the house. This recipes, thank goodness, falls into the first category. I discovered a slightly different version of this recipe months ago and lost it put it aside until a later date. Luckily, I found this recipe on Friday night.  I had just gotten home from the supermarket, my family was hungry, and I was supposed to babysit (two little munchkins) in 15 minutes.

      I had everything that I needed, since most of the ingredients are staples around my house. These open face/faced sandwiches are wonderful. They taste good, are packed with protein and they don't have a lot of fat. I served these sandwiches with a side of fruit. This recipe will be going into my regular rotation. 



      I hope you enjoy these as much as I did. They make the perfect meal for a busy night.


Ingredients
1/2 cup artichoke hearts, finely chopped (I used italian marinated)
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground red (cayenne) pepper
1 can albacore tuna packed in water, lightly drained
slices of bread, english muffins or pitas (I used mutli grain bread)
provolone cheese, sliced

Preheat broiler. Combine artichoke hearts, onions, lemon juice, oil, peppers and tuna in a medium bowl. Stir gently to mix together. Divide between pieces of bread and place a slice of cheese on top.

Place on a baking sheet and broil (about 5 inches from heat) for approximately 3-4 minutes until warm golden brown.

Servings 2-4


No comments: