Mar 16, 2011

Homemade Strawberry "Ice Cream"


This was cold, creamy and satisfying. It is totally guilt free too!!! No SUGAR at all.

Bean came home from school wanting ice cream, or should I say demanding ice cream.  I didn't have any in the house and it was lunch time. So I made my own!! Bean loved it, I loved it and later that night I gave some to Cale and he really liked it.

Heather's Strawberry "Ice Cream"

1-2 cups Frozen Strawberries
2-4 cups milk, I used organic low-fat and it was still really "creamy"
1 frozen banana
1/2-1 teaspoon of vanilla extract

I put the milk, vanilla and the banana in the blender on high. Then I gradually added strawberries until the mixture was really thick like ice cream (add fewer strawberries for a smoothie consistency). I have a      vita-mix blender so my ice-cream was really smooth.

Bean and I ate this with spoons right after I blended it. I put a little bit in the freezer for Cale later that night. It got pretty hard, but after leaving it at room temperature for a couple minutes it was a lot softer.

Note: Because this doesn't have any stabilizers it melts pretty quickly. I would eat it or put it in the freezer right away.

No comments: