Mar 23, 2011

Banana Split Protein Smoothie


           I originally found a recipe for a similar smoothie in Eating Well magazine. I was looking for a homemade protein shake. I wanted something to keep me full and wasn't filled with a bunch of chemicals and additives. 
           Try this smoothie before you judge the ingredients by themselves...I'm talking to YOU, Mom! If you have always disliked tofu, give it a chance in this smoothie. You won't even taste it! If you use silken tofu it makes the drink taste smooth and extra creamy. Tofu is really healthy, packed with protein and virtually tasteless, especially when combined with stronger flavors like banana and chocolate.
           When I originally made this it said it made one (1) serving. I felt it made enough for Cale and I to have with an apple for an on-the-go breakfast. I will include some nutritional information below. Please note that I will calculate the nutritional information based on 2 servings. So if you decide to drink the smoothie in one sitting, all.by.yourself (which is doable and delicious), the nutritional information will need to be doubled.

Banana Split Protein Smoothie
adapted  slightly from Eating Well
1 small banana
1/2 cup milk (liquid of your choice ie. nut milk, coconut milk, soy milk, regular dairy)
1/2 cup silken tofu (I used organic)
2 tablespoons unsweetened dutch processed cocoa powder (regular cocoa powder works as well)
1 tablespoon Xagave (sweetener of your choice ie. honey, sugar, stevia, agave)

Place all ingredients except for sweetener in a blender and blend on high until smooth. Taste a small amount of the protein shake and add sweetener if needed/wanted. Enjoy.

Per serving: 170 calories; 4 g fat; 30 g carbohydrates; 8.5 g protein; 5 g fiber





No comments: