Mar 16, 2011

Citrus and Harvest Grains Salad



I found this recipe in the I Trader Joe's cookbook. I liked it and Cale thought it was okay. He likes some of the quinoa salad recipes that I've posted on here better. 

This recipe started my OBSESSION with Trader Joe's Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar. I have it almost everyday. Most times I drizzle it on arugula with a little olive oil and kosher salt. I then top it with a poached egg and a few shreds of Parmesan/asiago cheese. It is wonderful and satisfying. I feel full after lunch and I love the flavors.

Harvest Grains Salad

Vinaigrette:
3 tablespoons Trader Joe's Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 cup olive oil
salt and pepper

Salad:
1 bag mache or other mixed lettuce
1 cup Trader Joe's Harvest Grains Blend, or other grains like millet and quinoa
1 blood orange, peeled and sliced
1 ruby red grapefruit, segmented
1 ripe avocado, sliced
1/4 English cucumber, sliced

Vinaigrette: Whisk together the vinegar and mustard. While whisking vigorously, begin to slowly drizzle in the olive oil, a little at a time. The vinaigrette should begin to thicken. Taste on a leaf of lettuce, then adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.

Salad: Toss the greens with the dressing and arrange on plates or a platter.  Mound the cooked grains  in the center of the platter, and drizzle on  a little more dressing, reserving about two tablespoons of dressing. Arrange the citrus segments, avocado and cucumber on the salad and drizzle with remaining dressing.

No comments: