May 3, 2011

Antipasto Salsa


     This salsa was one of the great things I discovered last year. I have made it numerous times and I enjoy it each time I make it. I've made it as an appetizer, lunch, snack and dinner. I served it on toasted bread, on chopped lettuce and as a topping on an 'Italian' sandwich. As long as you eat the salsa...you can't go wrong. The sweet and tangy balsamic vinegar really tops it all off. 
     I love the fresh basil. It makes it taste so much fresher. You can also use frozen basil, but the flavor isn't as bright. The kalamata olives really add a lot of salt and briny flavor to this dish. I have made this salsa with bottled roasted peppers and with freshly roasted red peppers. They both taste great, it is more a matter of time vs. money. Lately, that age-old conundrum questions me a lot in my life right now. I'm short on both! 

Antipasto Salsa


adapted from Cooking Light


1 cup diced tomato
1 medium zucchini diced small
1/2 cup chopped drained marinated artichoke hearts
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1/3 cup diced bottled roasted red bell peppers
1/4 cup minced onion
2 tablespoons chopped pitted kalamata olives
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons olive oil

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl; cover and chill. Serve with toasted baguette, chips or on a bed of lettuce.

No comments: