May 28, 2011

Strawberry Lemonade

As the seasons change I am stepping away from heavy roasts and soups and craving lighter spring and summer flavors. The weather is warming up and taking a break from the to-do list sounds wonderful. When I think of sitting outside, summertime in general, I immediately start thinking about refreshing drinks. Nothing says summer quite like a tall, cool glass of lemonade. The sweet-tart flavor cools and refreshes like nothing else can. Relaxing with a glass of strawberry lemonade in hand helps me to imagine my troubles away.

      I’ll be bringing this summer drink to the next barbecue I attend and I’m sure it will make several appearances in my home all summer long. You can substitute sparkling water or club soda for some of the water in this recipe for a slightly bubbly celebration drink. Also, if you prefer, swap the strawberries for raspberries, blueberries or mango.



Strawberry Lemonade
adapted from Cook's Country

Note: This recipe makes one tall pitcher of strawberry lemonade. Double or triple the recipe if you are bringing this for a gathering. You can use frozen thawed berries if fresh aren't available. 

1 cups fresh strawberries
1 large lemon, sliced thin, ends discarded
3/4 cup sugar
3 1/2 cups cold water
1 cup fresh lemon juice (about 6 lemons)
Ice for serving

Using a potato masher or meat pounder, mash strawberries, lemon slices and sugar in a bowl until slices release their juice and sugar begins to dissolve. Stir in water and lemon juice until sugar completely dissolves. Strain  mixture and chill or pour over ice before serving.

No comments: