Apr 22, 2011

Baked Creamy Chicken Taquitos

     First, I apologize about the poor picture. I threw these together on Friday night and my family was hungry for dinner. I plated a salad and these taquitos for everyone. Once I sat down I realized I hadn't gotten a photo and I quickly grabbed the camera and took a couple of shots...not very good. But at least you get an idea of what they should look like.
     Taquitos. Usually the word alone can make my mouth salivate and my arteries start closing. All that spicy, flavorful meat and cheese wrapped in a corn tortilla and deep fried. Good tasting, but not good digesting. I don't digest fried foods very easily, which is why I don't eat a whole lot of foods that have been fried. When I saw a recipe for BAKED taquitos on Our Best Bites I knew I needed to try them. I'm glad I did, they were quick to prepare and they tasted really great.
     These taquitos use cooked and shredded chicken. I used my trusty Costco rotisserie chicken and shredded enough for the filling. You could experiment with all kinds of filling--shredded beef or pork would be equally delicious. I love that this filling recipe can be made ahead and refrigerated. These taquitos are meaty, spice, cheese and crunchy. It was a fun, flavorful dinner that we usually don't make because of the deep frying. Whatever you do, don't skip the salt sprinkled on the taquitos those bites were wonderful.
   I served these with a side of beans and a quick green salad. I think they would make great party fare or appetizers if you cut them in half before hand. I served them with extra salsa verde, but any kind of salsa, guacamole or sour cream would be tasty.
Baked Creamy Chicken Taquitos
adapted from Our Best Bites


1/3 cup (3 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup salsa verde (I used Trader Joe's brand)
1  fresh lime,  juiced (use less if you like less lime)
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup loosely pack cilantro, chopped
3 green onions, sliced
2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
1 cup grated pepper jack cheese
small corn tortillas
kosher salt
cooking spray


Heat oven to 425º. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly coat with cooking spray.


Beat together softened cream cheese and green salsa, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, onion and garlic powders. Stir to combine and then add cilantro and green onions. Lightly stir in chicken and cheese; make sure the mixture is combined well.


You can prepare up to this step ahead of time. Just keep mixture in the fridge.


Working with a few tortillas; spray both sides with cooking spray and put into the oven for 1-2 minutes until soft and pliable. Once soft and easy to roll, place 2-3 tablespoons of chicken mixture on the lower third of a tortilla. Then roll the tortilla as tightly as possible.


Place the tortilla roll seam side down on the baking sheet. Lay all of the taquitos on the baking sheet and make sure they are not touching each other. Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray or an oil mister and sprinkle lightly with kosher salt.


Place pan in the oven  and bake for 15-20 minutes or until taquitos are crisp and the ends start to turn golden brown. Serve with dip or garnishes.

1 comment:

Deidre said...

These was INSANELY good. Pretty sure they were gone about 5 minutes after you brought them up!