Apr 1, 2011

Elephant Cookies


          "Elephant cookies, what kind of name is that? I wonder if they have peanuts in them or peanut butter, because elephants like peanuts? Why would they be called elephant cookies?" These were all questions I asked myself regarding a recipe I found in the Ivory Family Favorites Cookbook named  Elephant Cookies.  
           These cookies don't have nuts in them of any sort. They don't look like elephants and certainly don't smell like them. I've heard of Elephant Ears; the fried dough confections you get at state fairs, but I've never heard of Elephant cookies. I decided to make the cookies and find out for myself, why they had such an unusual name. So, I made them--I still have no idea why they are called Elephant Cookies. All I  know is that they are delicious. 
          These cookies are big, with a crunchy outside and soft, but chewy middle. These cookies have corn flakes in them, which makes them extra chewy. In fact, I love the texture and slight flavor this particular ceral attributes to the overall cookie.  I tried to leave some pieces a bit larger than others to add texture, but most pieces should be no larger than a pea. The cookies are crispy on the edges because of the shortening and they are a sturdy cookie, so add in whatever floats your boat. I added M&Ms to half the batch to make them more colorful and bittersweet chocolate chips for those of us who like the dark side.
          After a fun afternoon of baking and eating I do not have an answer for any of my questions regarding the name of these cookies. However, I do have a new cookie going into the rotation of family favorites.


Note 1: I used a BIG cookie scoop to make big, elephant sized, cookies. If you make smaller cookies, please watch the bake time. Also, these would make a wonderful bakesale item filled with your favorite mix-ins.


Note 2: Depending on how small you crush your corn flakes you will need 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of extra flour. If your dough looks really wet or greasy add more flour, otherwise your cookies will spread too much.


Elephant Cookies
adapted from Ivory Family Favorites Cookbook


1 cup shortening (non-hydrogenated, trans fat free)
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2-3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups old-fashioned oats
2 cups cornflakes
1 cup chocolate chips (I split the dough and used bittersweet chips and M&Ms)


Preheat oven to 350º. 


Cream shortening and sugars in large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanila, then add flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Carefully add cornflakes and oats and mix until blended. Stir in mix-ins (nuts, chocolate chips, M&Ms, etc). 


Measure about 1/4 cup dough and place  onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 14 - 16 minutes depending on your cookie size and oven. Leave cookies on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack until completely cool. 


These cookies have the best texture when completely cool.





2 comments:

Brad said...

These sound QUITE bit like monster cookies that Brad's family loves...it is interesting because I don't know where the "monster" comes from either.

Heather said...

'What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."
-Shakespeare

One of my all-time favorite quotes applies to this cookie :).