Apr 19, 2011

Tri-Berry Salad with Goat Cheese Dressing

Without Nuts
    Are you thinking "Come on, another salad recipe. What is this the 26th salad recipe?" Because my answer is "Yes, yes it is. If you can't handle the salad recipes; you are blogger-stalking the wrong blog. As far as I'm concerned you can never have too many awesome salad recipes." On another note...
      It is spring! I'm bringing out the big, berry guns. I LOVE berries. As a child I remember wanting my mom to buy lots of fresh raspberries. I loved eating them as soon as she got them home, but because money was tight, she wouldn't allow me to eat the pints of fresh raspberries I was pining after.  She usually purchased them on sale to make jam, or for a specific purpose that didn't include darling daughters scarfing-down all of them as quickly as possible. It is interesting the changes and constants we experience from childhood. As for raspberries; my tastes have not changed.
     I found a couple of recipes, that use berries, and added them to the weekly menu.  I purchased some cartons of fresh raspberries to use in the recipes. As soon as I got home I washed a pint, which was intended for another recipe, and enjoyed each  delicious berry while standing at the kitchen sink. Two things happened: I realized I have no control  AND I had just enough berries left to make this delicious salad to share. Next time, I'll buy extra berries at the supermarket.
With Cinnamon Almonds
     If you haven't noticed from my recipes already, I'm a  fan of goat cheese. I love the creamy yet crumbly, tangy, cheesy flavor that chevre goat cheese incorporates. Goat cheese and buttermilk create a tangy counterpoint to the sweet, juicy berries. This tri-berry salad includes strawberries, blueberries and raspberries. A berry for everyone. I also adapted the original recipe and added cinnamon almonds. I love texture in salads and the nuts are sweet and crunchy. Feel free to omit them if you are not a nut person.




Tri-Berry Salad with Goat Cheese Dressing
adapted from Cooking Light


Dressing:
2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
2 tablespoons buttermilk
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper
1 package (3 oz) soft goat cheese


Salad:
6 cups of greens (your choice)
2 cups trimmed arugula (again alternative green; your choice)
3/4 cup fresh blueberries
3/4 cup fresh raspberries
3/4 cup sliced fresh strawberries
2-4 tablespoons cinnamon almonds, chopped


Combine dressing ingredients into a blender or food processor; process until smooth.  Combine berries in a medium bowl and toss gently to mix. Combine greens  and dressing and toss to coat. Place greens on serving platter or individual plates and top with mixed berries and almonds. Drizzle a small amount of dressing over the top of the berries. Serve immediately.

No comments: